Depersonalization and the Workshop
10-15 minute writing assignment on personal object students brought to class
"Why do we write poetry?"
- recieve student responses
- for therapy?
- to fulfill a creative desire?
- to "woo?"
Eliot and Depersonalization
- Separation of Poet and Poem
- Although the poem may be created for personal reasons, it becomes isolated from the writer after its "birth"
- The poem is merely a thing
Community of Writers
- Group Poem (10-15 minutes)
- Workshop Rules
- Check your ego at the door
- No defensive or offensive attitudes
- Focus on the text, what is actually there
- No friends or enemies
- Critical vocabulary
- Workshop 2 of my own bad poems
- Trade personal objects, allow 10-15 minutes for writing
- Stress the objective perspective